MANILA, Philippines - Recently, The Ninoy Aquino International Airport was removed from the list of "Worst Airports in the World" but months ago, a new modus or scheme to extort money from passengers made a huge buzz globally alarming several passengers going and leaving the country. Do you think that NAIA should be brought back to the list of the Worst Airports in the World?
10 Prevention Tips For Tanim-Bala Modus
Nov 02, 2015 at 9:39 PM
Posted by : Pinoy Secret Writer
Filed Under : News & Events
The tanim-bala modus angered many passengers as authorities are taking the issue lightly and not putting much effort to resolve the problem. If you were caught carrying a live bullet, you will face criminal charges. So in order to skip that part, security personnel will then give you a choice: pay a certain amount and you can leave without facing any criminal charges or insists not to pay them and face the consequences. With that, it is clear that this is a modus set-up by security personnel to extort money from passengers.
A few days ago, we posted an article wherein an alleged taxi driver is part of the tanim bala modus. Having that, it seems that the root cause of the modus is happening outside the airport as to why investigators aren't able to capture the actual plantation of bullets. We do not want to jump into conclusions but this is a very possible scenario.
With that, we wanted to know if the following scenarios:
- Do the victims rode a public vehicle (taxi, uber, grabcar, jeep, bus, van, etc) bound to NAIA?
- Were there any personnel or stranger hold their bags? (A perfect example is that they offered to help in carrying their luggage)
- Were they the one who put their bag inside the xray scanner or a security personnel assists them in putting them in?
- Did they noticed someone lurking around while waiting inside the airport or even at the entrance?
Having these scenarios, we could do a process of elimination in order to trace down the root cause of where and how it started.
But for the mean time, while these so-called authorities are doing their "job", here are tips on how to prevent the tanim-bala modus. There are several prevention tips circulating online but we think that not all people have lawyers and it seems that it is not a prevention tip but more on how to handle the situation where you are already a victim. With that, we wanted to share this prevention tips we come up with.
- When riding a public vehicle such as taxi, van, bus, uber, grab or the likes, never let the driver or someone you don't know hold your luggage.
- Upon arrival at the airport, if an airport personnel or a stranger offerred to help you drop your luggage, refuse.
- When waiting inside the airport or outside the entrance, keep an eye on your belongings. When you notice someone lurking around you, leave.
- Avoid crowded places.
- When putting your things inside the x-ray conveyor, make sure that there are no bags ahead of you. Should there be, let the owner of the bag get his things first before putting yours in.
- Make sure that the person behind you is not too close to you when putting your things in the x-ray conveyor.
- Ensure that the end of the x-ray conveyor is clear of people.
- When your bag enters the x-ray conveyor, that's the time you go in for body inspection. Do not leave yet when your bag is NOT yet inside the x-ray.
- Keep an eye on your things when it is exiting the conveyor. Ensure that you immediately grab your things as soon as it exits the x-ray scanner.
- Be vigilant of your surroundings and always give yourself a "personal space". If you think someone is getting too close to you, leave.
There you have it! Should you have anymore prevention tips to share, please comment them below!