Days after returning to her Edinburgh home, however, she spotted an object in one nostril that she first dismissed as congealed blood.
The 24-year-old graduate was rushed to A&E at Edinburgh's Royal Infirmary after realising she had an animal up her nose.
Miss Liverani, originally from Glasgow, told the Sunday Mail: "Two weeks before I came home from Asia, I started having nosebleeds but I'd fallen off a motorbike so thought I'd burst a blood vessel.
"After I got home, the nosebleeds stopped and I started seeing something sticking out of my nostril. I just thought it was congealed blood from the nosebleeds.
"I tried to blow him out and grab him but I couldn't get a grip of him before he retreated back up my nose.
"When I was in the shower, he would come right out as far as my bottom lip and I could see him sticking out the bottom of my nose.
"So when that happened, I jumped out of the shower to look really closely in the mirror and I saw ridges on him. That's when I realised he was an animal.”
Hospital staff examined Miss Liverani with a torch, before trying to remove the parasite with forceps and tweezers as they pinned her to the bed.
She said: “It was agony – whenever the doctor grabbed him, I could feel the leech tugging at the inside of my nose.
"Then all of a sudden, after half an hour, the pain stopped and the doctor had the leech in the tweezers.
"He was about as long as my forefinger and as fat as my thumb.
Mark Siddal, curator at the American Museum of Natural History in New York and an expert on leeches, said: "Daniela could have picked up this leech from water in Vietnam, if she had been swimming.
"Or it could have gone in through her mouth, as she was drinking water.
"Even though it was there for around a month, these leeches don't grow all that quickly, so it wouldn't have been much smaller when it went up there. It would have been quite sizeable.
"It's interesting that people don't feel these leeches go up their nose."